Birth of Otsuka
The Otsuka family lived in Naruto, Tokushima Prefecture where they worked for generations in agriculture and fisheries.
In 1921, Busaburo Otsuka established Otsuka with a team of just 10 people manufacturing chemical raw materials.
It entered the pharmaceutical industry with IV solutions and expanded operations in 1946.
In 1964, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. was established with the mission to promote development centered on the group’s in-house technologies as a company that would serve as the older brother leading to the future of the Otsuka Group.
The company began developing proprietary pharmaceuticals at its own R & D laboratory in Tokushima in 1971.
Akihiko Otsuka, then aged 38, was appointed president and representative director of Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. in 1976.
In the 80’s, globalization of Otsuka began with the English Motto “80 World Famous Otsuka” expanding to Europe and North America. It has not stop since then in making its presence known to new markets around the world.
On December 15, 2010, Otsuka Holdings listed its shares on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
In 2011, the Otsuka Group was reorganized where Otsuka Pharmaceutical, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Taiho Pharmaceutical, Otsuka Warehouse and Otsuka Chemical became a directly-owned subsidiary of the new holding company – Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd.
Today, the company is a giant business conglomerate with a business portfolio balanced between the pharmaceuticals for curing illnesses and nutraceuticals for maintaining the daily health of people around the world.
Otsuka Group has continually tackled challenges and the unknown. Consistent with the vision of its former chairman, Otsuka remains focused on innovative product development and high quality production that will lead to the betterment of peoples’ health around the word as a big venture company that is always committed to creation and innovation under the corporate philosophy Otsuka – people creating new products for better health worldwide.